Today’s recipe comes from one of my most favorite cooks, Paula Deen. This is a great, simple stuffing recipe that you’re sure to love!
Old Country Stuffing:
- 2 loaves oven-dried white bread (recommended: Pepperidge Farm)
- 2 cups cooked white rice
- 1 sleeve crushed saltines
- 1 pound bulk breakfast sausage
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 7 cups chicken stock
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried sage leaves
- 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 stick butter, melted
- Mushroom Giblet Gravy, recipe follows
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Crumble oven-dried bread into a large bowl. Add rice and saltines.
Cook sausage in a large skillet until it starts to brown. Add celery and onion and saute until transparent, 5 to 10 minutes. Pour over bread and rice mixture. Add stock and mix well. Add salt, pepper, sage, and poultry seasoning. Mix well. Add the beaten eggs and melted butter. Mix well. Reserve 2 tablespoons of the stuffing mixture for the Mushroom Giblet Gravy.
Pour stuffing into a greased pan and bake until cooked through and golden brown, about 45 minutes.